Nationally the British Legion came into being in July 1921, as a result of the amalgamation of four separate ex-service organisations which had previously existed for ex-service men and women.
In 1971 Her Majesty the Queen conferred the title The ROYAL British Legion.
In 1947 there was a move to establish a Grappenhall and Thelwall Branch. A few local people met in a room in the old Dog and Dart pub to discuss its formation.
A local businessman Mr Dilon agreed to purchase a piece of land between Stockport Road and the then railway line (now the Trans Pennine Trail) and in 1948 a large hut was erected on this land as the Branch's Club House. A year later a second hut was erected alongside the first. This is the same land that continues to house the Club today.
In 2000 the present brick built club was opened to upgrade the premises. The old structure was demolished to provide additional car parking. An outdoor decking area and a children's play area has also been added.
The Branch Committee deals with the British Legion's work while the Club Committee runs the Club and its two bars. There are a number of sections operating in the Club, namely darts, snooker and fishing. As well as running its own entertainment in the concert room, this room is available for hire and is now also licenced for civil weddings.
Meanwhile the work of supporting the needs of service and ex-service men and women continues including any necessary welfare work.
Membership of the Branch and Club are open to any one who joins the Royal British Legion whether they are associated with the armed forces or not.