The first record of a Scout Troop in Thelwall was in 1926, the leader being the local postman Sam Williams. It is not known how long this Troop was in existence as its records were destroyed during the Second World War.
During the war it is recorded that a group of boys in the village approached the Warrington District Commissioner asking if a Troop could be started and in 1941 the 1st Thelwall Scout Troop was formed. As part of their scouting the boys collected waste paper, aluminium and scrap iron to help the war effort. The Troop was registered as the 32nd Warrington (1st Thelwall). They also acted as messengers for the ARP wardens. In 1944 the two Scout Leaders were called up for military service and the Troop closed until 1949 when the leaders returned to civilian life. At this point a Cub Pack was added to the Group.
Before the present Headquarters were built the Scouts met firstly in an upstairs room of what was known as the 'Jamboree Hut' situated on Ferry Lane behind the old Post Office. Then in a room which was part of the barn buildings on Bell Lane, attached to Miss Williamson's 'Bridge House'.
When the Troop was restarted it was registered in the Lymm and Thelwall District for some years until 1971 when it returned to the Warrington District with it present title 6th Warrington (1st Thelwall). For a number of years the Troop had boys from Chaigeley School as members as well as lads from the village. There was now also a section for older Senior Scouts which was later renamed the Venture Scouts.
The present Headquarters is Baden Lodge which was built by members of the Group led by Geoff Bradburn and Bill Arden. This building was opened on 6th June 1956. The main hall was an army nissen hut obtained from the Army Camp at High Legh. A kitchen and store room was built onto one end and toilets on the other. On 2nd October 1971 the Headquarters were reopened with the main hall now also a brick structure.
One of the strengths of the Thelwall Group is its camping record. Over the years the Scout section has run seven or eight day summer camps together with weekend camps and Cub Pack Holidays. Most camps are held in the U.K. but others have been based in Ireland, Austria and Germany. At Easter 1979 the Venture section held a two week expedition on the Isle of Jura in the Scottish Inner Hebrides. They studied the wild animals, birds, geology, weather and island life. Cost £38 per person. It is interesting to compare what the camps have cost over the years. For instance in 1962 fifteen days in Austria cost £23 per head while in 1974 nine days on the Isle of Man was £12. In 1993 eight days at Aysgarth, Wensleydale was £70 per head and in 2017 eight days on Anglesey was £210.
The Group now consists of a Beaver Colony (6 to 8 year old), a Cub Pack (8 to 10 year old) and the Scout Troop (10 to 14 year old). There is a senior section Explorer Scouts (14 to 18 years) which is a District Unit alternating its weekly meetings between Thelwall and Grappenhall.